It has been a busy week at our Devonshire Road site.
Two new participants have joined the scheme and are making great progress. Following some basic training in safe use of tools and joinery one has already built this fantastic garden bench and is moving on to more ambitious projects.
The other has been discussing website design with our IT specialist and is now working on his first website using WordPress.
- Several people received tuition in basic plastering and trowel skills as part of an 8 session course.
- Two bicycles kindly donated by Centre Parcs and Millom Town Council were overhauled and now provide two participants with a low cost, healthy way of travelling to the Unit and potential local employers.
- Another participant was being coached ready for his selection tests at Barrow College to embark on a course there.
- A group of learners continued their study for the Level 1 Functional Skills qualification in mathematics with the MNC maths tutor.
- Three participants attended a "Six steps to self employment course" with life coach and small business advisor Eric Barker covering all the essentials to allow them to make an informed decision as to whether self-employment is right for them.
- An individual who attended the support program earlier in the year is using flexible starter space at the unit as a leg up to self employment producing wooden products.
- Another young man who has just finished his GCSE in Mathematics at the MNC Adult Education Centre is helping refurbish older unwanted computer systems at Unit3 for re-use in the community or as teaching resources. He is going to apply his ICT knowledge to produce videos using green screen techniques at the Unit and will be working with our photography Adult Education tutor to do this.
- Another individual received help with English as part of their plan to provide physiotherapy services.
- A local person dropped in for help with her CV and received advice from our science tutor about joining our GCSE Science course in September.
The management and Directors at Millom Network Centre would like to express their thanks to all the hard working support staff, volunteers and participants that help make Unit3 such a vibrant place. We hope to build on this first phase and offer much more in the years to come.